I heart Rubirosa
This place has been on my restaurant list for years, and when my dad was visiting from Chicago this July, he suggested we go there. Leave it to my dad, the ultimate foodie, to pick one of my new favorite go-tos in a city he doesn’t even live in.
Where: Rubirosa (235 Mulberry St, Nolita)
About Rubirosa: This Italian gem has a “rustic” feel with wooden tables and tin paneling creating a cozy ambiance. Although they serve classic Italian dishes, like bruschetta and pasta, you are doing yourself a disservice if you do not opt for pizza. Served fresh out of the oven, Rubirosa has 8 specialty pies that range from the Mushroom (with Pea, Prosciutto and Pecorino) to the Sausage and Broccoli Rabe. You also have the option to customize your pizza with 5 different types of cheese and 15+ toppings.
Great for: Hanging with friends, date night and when you are in the mood for carbs and cheese.
What to order? Vodka sauce with fresh mozzerella pizza. This delicious pie has mouthwatering cheese on top of a smooth, creamy tomato sauce that is unlike anything I have ever had. Per our waiter, it also happens to be their best seller. ($17 small, $23 large).
Other cool STUFF:
- It’s all gluten free. If you have a gluten issue or are on a weirdo diet, this place has the green light.
- The crust is awesome. Thin, crunchy and available in whole wheat. Win.
- They have a pizza truck in BKLYN. For those of you who do not live on the Island, you can enjoy it too. Get more info here.
- A+ salads. The Rubirosa salad (Arugula, Tomato, Mozzarella, Crouton and Parmesan) doesn’t sound like much, but it was pretty legit. Disclaimer: This is to be ordered as a starter ONLY, pizza must be your main.
- Solid Italian Beer List. For those of you who want to add to your carb count when dining here, Rubirosa offers an assortment.
Please take note: They do NOT take reservations.
Photo Credit (Pizza only): Zagat