There is no catch to Catch…it’s just AWESOME
For my day of birth, I celebrated at my new favorite spot in New York City…Catch. This hot restaurant and lounge opened in October 2011 and has been packed ever since. For the record, I strongly dislike the Meatpacking district, but I would move there (preferably above DVF) to be closer to Catch.
Where: Catch (21 9th Avenue, Meatpacking).
About the Restaurant: The outstanding menu is “seafood-fusion,” and everything I ate was fresh and perfectly prepared. With Top Chef Season 3 winner, Hung Huynh, as the executive chef, Catch can do no wrong. Instead of doing dessert, finish your night off at Catch’s lounge upstairs.
About the Lounge: Owned by the EMM group, the nightlife company that turns everything they touch into gold (Tenjune, Abe & Arthurs and SL among others) opened ANOTHER winner. Crowded, but not too crowed, this intimate space is perfect for a late night dance party.
What to order?
- Catch Roll ($16). With crab, salmon and miso honey, this is phenomenal.com.
- The Scallops ($32).Coupled with cauliflower, pistachio and Tamarind brown-butter, this is the dish Hung won Top Chef with.
- Macaroni & Lobster Cream ($18). Enough said.
- Crunchy rice cakes ($15) – Tuna Tartare &Wasabi Tobiko. They certainly rival Koi’s signature app.
Why it rules:
- Trendy with substance. I hate “trendy” spots along with the rest you who have souls, but this place backs up the hype.
- Beautiful people everywhere. Even the wait staff. Imserious.com.
- Solid service. My water glass was always filled. Not to mention, our waiter wasn’t bad to look at. See bullet above.
- The pretzel bread. Not just ordinary bread and butter to start, but pretzels with mustard. It sounds weird (it is) but it’s amazing.
- Great every day of the week.My birthday was on a Monday and if this was good on a Monday, I can’t even fathom a Friday.
- Good for celebrity sightings. We saw Afrojack (Yes, the DJ) and at least two other familiar faces while dining. On a Monday.
- Fantastic Food. I would go back just for the scallops even if Catch didn’t have any other positive qualities. See “What to order”.
- The chef is a celebrity. Don’t judge me.
- The doorman for the lounge is hot. Hello Miguel.
- Cool space. This semi-industrial loft space (used to be a factory) is sleek, cozy and with favorable lighting. I felt better about myself just being there.
Catch was a great overall experience and it was the perfect spot to celebrate getting a year older. However, I would go back any other day of the week for any occasion and plan to. Cheers!