Check Greenpoint off your bucket list at Five Leaves
In celebration of spring, I crossed the bridge to attend brunch at Five Leaves and it was phenomenal.com. Nestled in the Greenpoint neighborhood of BK (For those who are Brooklyn challenged, it’s next to Williamsburg), Five Leaves serves local, organic food with a twist. I am pro staying on the Island of Manhattan, but Five Leaves is certainly worth the trip.
Where: Five Leaves (18 Bedford Ave, Greenpoint, Brooklyn).
What to order: I did a lot of food staring and I can confidently say that everything is a WIN on their brunch menu, but below are a few of the standouts:
- Mushroom Toast ($12) – Creamy red wine braised mushrooms, sautéed kale and a poached egg on grilled seven grain. This is what I got and it was LEGIT.
- Brueeled Grapefruit ($4) – Grapefruit with burned sugar on top (it’s healthy because it’s fruit, right?)
- Ricotta Pancakes ($12) – Drizzled with 100% pure maple syrup and covered in bananas, blueberries & strawberries (pictured above).
Why it rocks:
- Reasonably priced. I mean, what place in Manhattan has an appetizer for $4? (Aside from an oyster, of course).
- Outdoor seating. I don’t know about you but once it hits 65 degrees, I refuse to sit inside when dining out. Fortunately, Five Leaves has plenty of outdoor tables (Disclaimer: most are 2-4 tops, so don’t expect to dine under the sun when you bring your entire entourage).
- Delicious food. See “What to order” above. There is more where that came from, check out their menu here.
- Great atmosphere. Relaxed and civilized.
- Lots of puppies. Okay, maybe this is a Brooklyn thing but there are literally dogs everywhere (a few sat down to brunch). I am assuming this is due to the fact that there is more space in BK = more dogs.
Other things to note:
- No reservations. They do not take reservations, so you may have to wait. Fortunately, you are right next to McCarren Park (more puppies!)
- Get a temporary tattoo. I felt weird not having ink. Food for thought.
Cheers to the boroughs!